Program Coordinator, Urban Assembly School for Law & Justice
The Urban Assembly School for Law & Justice (SLJ) is a new small high school in Fort Greene, Brooklyn . Recognized as one of the best public high schools in the country by Bill Gates, Sr. , SLJ is a national model for school reform, cited by Schools Chancellor Joel Klein as the embodiment of his vision for public education in New York City.
SLJ is an academically rigorous college-preparatory high school with a curricular focus on legal studies and debate. Central to SLJ’s philosophy are small class sizes, interpersonal relationships between students and teachers, and intensive out-of-school enrichment work that makes use of a broad network of corporate and community partners to involve students in meaningful internships, mentorships, and pre-professional experiences.
SLJ is delighted to announce the position of Program Coordinator (PC) for Fall 2007. The PC will be invaluable in carrying out the enrichment work at SLJ, collaborating closely with the Director of Programs and the Program Assistant.
The PC will:
- Plan and execute theme-based student events like the Dog Bite Trial, Moot Court Week, Election Night, the Shipwrecked Sailor Case, and many others
- Oversee important enrichment programs like internships, mentorships, and the After-School Learning Academy (ASLA)
- Coordinate guest speaker series like Lunch with Lawyers
- Network with SLJ’s partners, including Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, Brooklyn Law School, the Red Hook Community Justice Center , the US District Court, and the US Attorney
- Work with teachers to infuse the law theme into the curriculum through creative lessons and projects
The ideal candidate:
- Is highly organized and extremely motivated
- Possesses strong communication skills
- Believes that all students can and must learn at high levels
- Supports education reform and SLJ’s pedagogical goals
- Can turn an abstract idea into a successful program or event, anticipating challenges and accounting for every detail
- Can multi-task and respond flexibly as objectives evolve and conditions change
- Is incredibly professional and can interact skillfully with everyone from partners in law firms to parents of students
- Has some experience in project management
- Can work as part of a team
How to apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Nicole S. Simon
Urban Assembly School for Law and Justice
p: (718) 858-1160 x 3153
f: (718) 858-4733